McMurdo Station is in a frozen bay on the coast of the Ross Sea; Our home for the next four months

Monday, October 18, 2010

Approaching McMurdo Station in the Frozen Ross Sea

I have so much to learn about this continent!


Unloading from the C-17

We landed in a White-out and would have "boomeraging" (turned around and headed back to NZ) if the flight crew hadn't been under strict directions to get a medivac out on the returning flight to NZ - it was REALLY intense

Welcome to nothing but white all around you

I was SOOOO excited to see Aaron! I had to fly to the bottom of the globe to find him!

Ivan the Terra Bus - one of 7 in the world. The rest are in Canada and the Netherlands - it's a beast and my new wheels for the season!

Four of my fellow shuttle drivers hard at work...

Mt Eribus covered in clouds - an active volcano on our island

Ice Road trucker! This one's for you, Chris Boone! It weighs 63,000lbs and drives like a house on wheels!

2 comments:

  1. Britt, You bus diver you! Did you ever get to decorate your home on wheels. Mom and I keep laughing, did you bring your mariachi music and sombrero? You make me laugh sometimes Joe the Geologist that is really funny. Anyway be safe and have fun. Keep up with the awesome blog. Shana & Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Britt. Your darn right, that thing is a beast and my kind of transportation. When you come home, can you bring it with you? I can just picture myself hauling a couple of turbo sleds up La Manga Pass in that.

    ReplyDelete