McMurdo Station is in a frozen bay on the coast of the Ross Sea; Our home for the next four months

Friday, October 29, 2010

It's a marvelous night for a moondance!

I'm enjoying a glorious day off today and soaking in every moment of being a hermit. While I've been hiding in our hobbit hole room reading and e-mailing the ouside world, Aaron is in the midst of admiring the glacier in his front yard. For the next two weeks, my Fuelie guy is calling Marble Point home as he tests fuel and checks line for any malfunctions. Marble Point is a remote refueling station for helicopter pilots and also boasts the best dinners on the continent. Aaron called last night after eating three helpings of scallop and shrimp stuffed ravioli..... I enjoyed every bit of my pear that was the last of our fruit stash until the next C-17 can make it to the station with fresh fruit and veggies.... we might all get scurvy here:) Aaron's having a great time getting to know the three other folks that live and work at Marble Point. I'm grateful that he has this opportunity to recharge and have some quiet time. Back here in McMurdo town, we're all ramping up for the huge Halloween Costume party tonight. I will be doing my best to recreate Janis Joplin's funk since my fellow hussle dancing maniac is eating ravioli at Marble Point. Happy Harvest and Halloween to everyone back home! Enjoy all things pumpkin for me!


Aaron working the fuelie life

Observation hill in the background

The glow of the Antartic snow - photo from Fuelie Ed

The Bazzler! These planes take people to the South Pole! The cabin isn't pressurizing so it's either suck oxygen through a tube or try to breathe at 22,000ft! This photo was taken for Cassidy and Miles Goering!

A continuation of Cape Evans



A Sundog! Not sure yet why and how this ring appears around the sun but it's very unique to extreme polar environments





One of the many transformers I drive on the Ice!

Practicing for our Christmas Card picture....

No comments:

Post a Comment